Home of Indiana's Largest Festival

The Parke County Covered Bridge Festivalâ„¢ on October 11th-20th, 2019

Grange Corner Covered Bridge

Built: 1899
Builder: Joseph J. Daniels
Creek: Sugar Mill Creek
Location: Located 3 miles north of Turkey Run State Park and 1 mile west of Grange Corner.
Reference Code: (#34), 14-61-37, 12-61-40, su, Sugar Creek 4/9-17N—7W
Size: 113 ft long
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span
Foundation: Concrete $945 constructed by Thomas Alward
Original Cost: $1,485 + $945 = $2,430  

Repair/Restoration History: Destroyed by flood in 1968.

Bridge History: Also known as "Delp Bridge"

Many times in the covered bridge bid process the bridge and abutments were bid separately and awarded separately.

Joseph J. Daniels bid $1485 for the superstructure and Thomas Alward bid $945 for the abutments for a total of $2430, while J.J. Daniels bid $2520 for the total job.

Grange Corner was earlier called Grangeburg. It was named after a large Grange store operated there by John Lundgren.

Mr. and lona Alward opened a larger store there in 1912, combined with a blacksmith shop and feed grinding business.

The Grangers was an organization of farmers designed to deal directly with the customer, eliminating "drummers" and middle men. The organization was begun after the Panic of 1873, when national inflation broke many farmers. Grangers were active for about ten years with chapters all over Parke County. The loss of the Grange Corner Bridge was also a lost game of bureaucratic "chicken". The Parke County Highway Department goal of maintaining county roads with limited funding often conflicts with Parke County Incorporated’s goal of maintaining covered bridges. The abutments of the bridge were inspected and declared unsafe. However, repairs were deferred while funding was sought.

During a 1968 flood, one of the bridge abutments was washed away. The Grange Corner Bridge fell into the creek bed.

Some witnesses have claimed that the bridge was not destroyed and could have been jacked out of the creek bed pending removal as a complete unit. Published photographs show it in much worse condition. Funds were still not available to preserve or move the bridge. County funds were made available to demolish the bridge.