Home of Indiana's Largest Festival

The Parke County Covered Bridge Festivalâ„¢ on October 11th-20th, 2019

Harbison Covered Bridge

Built: 1916
Builder: Joseph A. Britton
Creek: Big Raccoon Creek branch
Location: Located 1 mile west of Portland Mills.
Reference Code: (#47) 12-61-22, kf, Union 2-15N—6W
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span  

Repair/Restoration History: Site now covered by Lake Mansfield. Second bridge at this site. Replaced 1847 Margrave Bridge. Destroyed by fire in 1943. 

Bridge History: The Harbison Bridge was named for the Harbison family. They owned land around Portland Mills. In 1920, James D. Harbison, who was born in 1868, owned 130 acres. James K. Harbison, who was born in 1859, owned 75 acres. J. Howard Harbison, who was born in 1858 owned 80 acres. In the 1950’s Donald Harbison owned the land around the bridge site.

The bridge was destroyed on December 22, 1943. A truck wrecked and ruptured an oil pipeline. Leaking oil from the pipeline saturated the bridge and when ignited, it burned down quickly. The earlier Hargrave Bridge was destroyed by the flood of 1913. J.A. Britton also replaced the Plank Road and Cox Ford bridges destroyed in that flood.

The Harbison Bridge site is now covered by Raccoon Lake during most of the year.