Home of Indiana's Largest Festival

The Parke County Covered Bridge Festivalâ„¢ on October 11th-20th, 2019

Hargrave Covered Bridge

Built: 1847
Builder: Joseph J. Daniels (unconfirmed)
Creek: Big Raccoon Creek branch
Location: Located one mile west of Portland Mills.
Reference Code: (#47b) Union 2-15N-6W
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span  

Repair/Restoration History: Destroyed by 1913 flood. Replaced by Harbison Bridge in 1916.

Bridge History: Named for A.A. Hargrave, a Rockville editor who lived to be over 100 years old. A photograph of the Hargrave Bridge shows the date 1847, but the names on the portal are not legible. It is clearly in the same style as the Jackson Bridge. It is believed to have been built by J.J. Daniels, but there are no definite records. There is a record of J.J. Daniels building the Union Township Bridge in 1851. While it is possible this is the same bridge, it is more likely that the Union Township Bridge was built at the Hollandsburg site. The Hargrave Bridge was destroyed in the flood of 1913- The Armiesburg Covered Bridge, the Plank Road Covered Bridge, and the Cox Ford Iron Bridge were destroyed by the same flood, and the abutments of the West Union Covered Bridge were damaged.